Re: NTLK SRAM and Newton (I need a reply)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 13:31:27 CDT

Chris Browder wrote:

> I posted 2 last night with no reply (not sure I sent them, really)... ok..
> I've found someone with varying SRAM cards (512k-6MB)... all SRAM cards work
> in the Newton after you insert them and format them, correct?

I've seen both messages you posted. I've thought someone would be
replying. Unfortunately, nobody did so far (you might want to wait until
tomorrow, since a bunch of users are subscribed to the digest and will
see your messages later today.

I don't know the specifics about the SRAM cards, except you could use
them in an original MessagePad.

I was assuming you've checked the FAQ already... but you probably missed
this:
"You can use SRAM cards or FlashRAM cards. SRAM cards are more expensive
than FlashRAM cards, and they need an internal battery."

and then
"5v/12v cards can be used on all models except eMate 300 which can only
read them. 5v/5v cards can be used on eMate, MP2k and MP130. SRAM cards
can be used on all Newtons. SRAM cards only work if they are 4 MB or
smaller."

Right after the above quoted sentence, they say:
"You need Newton OS 2.x to use flash cards bigger than 4 MB. The maximum
is 32 MB."

So, it seems that using SRAM, you're limited to 4MB, but if you were
using flash and OS 2.x, you could go bigger (as I'm using a 16MB flash
card in my 2100, and other users use even larger cards (up to 32MB).

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com