Subject: Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?

From: arthur battram (apb@cityplex.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 17:07:24 CDT

> Subject: Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?

> Hmm... This explains a lot. However, if, as you say, it would be
> relatively easy to recreate the major portions of the NewtonOS that
> made it unique, why hasn't someone done it already?

> There are smart entrepreneurs out there. Where's the one that loves
> his Newton and sees the market for it?
>
> I'm not much of a businessman and I don't claim to be, but this all
> seems to make sense to me. Anyone willing to shed some light on the
> issue?
>
> -----
> Joel Watson
> -----
> "You think it's a conspiracy by the networks to put bad shows on TV.
> But the shows are bad because that's what people want. It's not like
> Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with
> Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." --Steve Jobs

well, here's why, and yes I love my newt, but its aging rapidly:

1. read your own quote - like Windoze, people are happy with palm, even tho
its inferior [just like vhs beat betamax
2. its not newt v palm, its newt plus crap synch to Mac vs palm plus
seamless synch to windoze and Mac. realise that most palmists download from
PC to carry palm to meetings.
3. the foldy palm keyboard - who needs good hwr at all now - you can use the
keyboard if u need 2.
4. re point 1. its a market lockin , like vhs killed betamax video + more
movies > more users> more movies > spiralling market penetration (good word,
given that the rumour is that the availability of porn on vhs is what
kickstarted this]. palm is way past the tipping point
5. which is not to say that you couldn't do a new newtlike device, because
chips are faster bigger, less hungry, etcetera and software is doable, but
nobody would switch unless a. it emulated palm/visor, b. expanded via pcmcia
or visor springboard, c. had a plus wow factor, d. and was same price.

and guess who's most likely to do it? well the myth is that bill always
takes 3 goes to get it right, so 1.windows CE handheld 2. pocket pc
handheld 3. Microsoft handheld webphone running palm emulator and gsm phone

and that brings up the next big thing - the merger of PDA and mobile
phone...

either way, unless iphone happens, apple is outa tha loop, dude...

best wishes
apb