OE <-> Newt synch; was -> NTLK Synching Names with Mac Email

From: doppler (doppler@mac.com)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 08:55:02 CDT

it took me about three hours to fix, but i finally made it. there is no
direct way of synching the two, but all i can say after spending the time,
is that it was well worth it.

--

this is what i did:

1. install claris organiser 2.02ß (CO). 2. set synch prefs with the newton. 3. synch with the newton. 4. use your desktop to reorder and organise all names, numbers and so forth so that all names and numbers are the same (compatible with both newton and outlook express 5.02 (OE)) 5. backup your OE names 6. try to export a tab delimited file 7. try to import the tab delimited file

8. make sure the claris format in CO is 100% compatible with your newt names application as well as the OE. (the more contacts you have, the more time you will need to spend on assuring the formats are identical.) outlook express is more powerful than both newton and claris organiser when it comes to names, but unfortunately it doesnt handle tasks, dates and notes. Hopefully, the upcoming MS ALPACA PIM will be fully synchable with the claris/palm desktop format.

9. look for and correct discrepancies. delete duplicates.

10. the exported tab delimited file from OE is compared to CO; normally very few names/addresses differ, so the OE->CO synch is performed manually.

11. when youve found the optimal import/export settings for claris organiser and outlook express, make sure to save or remember those.

10. the claris file is now the ** main ** file 11. backup your newt 12. wipe all names in your newt. 13. synch the newt from the claris file on your mac. 14. you have now got three identical name files: newt, CO & OE!

15. make sure that you enter new data exactly according to your new format. this applies to all three applications (i actually use all three, as its great to have reminders on the powerbook as well as the newt. if something will happen to the newt, ill be able to get a new unit without loosing my entire agenda)

16. next time you synch with CO, it wil take you only two minutes. i rarely synch with OE, but occasionaly i update the names in OE too. new entries from OE are transferred from tab delimited files manually. normally, very few names are added via OE, as most name entries are collected via the newt..

good luck!

--

Roland Whitehead [rolandw@mac.com] wrote 00-07-10 10.10:

> This may be a faq (I can't find a means of searching historical messages) > but has anyone sorted out a way of synchronising Newt Names and Addresses > with (gosh, dare I say it here....) Outlook Explorer 5? >

roman pixell

_________karmatic experience group__

mailto: roman@karmatic.com phone: +46 (0) 8 242 606 fax: +46 (0) 8 598 14 954 cell: +46 (0) 709 10 35 51 web: www.pixell.net/doppler icq user number: 3698764 ____________________________________