NTLK favorite external modems? (size)

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 15:07:38 CDT

Pretty basic question:

I'm thinking of getting another external modem, and would like something
small footprint. I know they used to make tiny laptop modems like the
"cigarette pack" Newton one, but I've never found one that was a) better
than 2400 baud b) smaller than a readily available USR 14.4 Sportster (a
pretty small footprint modem).

If someone has a favorite toy, please email me the model # so I can start
looking around for something specific.

Speed doesn't matter too much, 28.8 or 33.6 would be nice, 14.4 would be
useable, cheaper is better as it's kind of an extra and not really used
much.
Another 14.4 USR sportster is likely what I'll end up size-wize unless
someone comes up with something better (you can get these for $10-15).
It's a subject thats a little hard to research, since PCMCIA has been out
for so long now, they quit making little external modems as far as I can
find.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Brian