Re: NTLK Farallon Newton EtherWave Adapter, newtontalk V1 #88

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 13:50:19 CDT

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Hutcherson, Ron wrote:
> The EtherWave is wonderful (for Mac users), and the iPrint is probably
> great, too. EtherWave may not be the best choice for Internet use, but for
> file xfer, it is all you need. If compatibility with legacy equipment is

Just to clarify things, there are multiple devices in the EtherWave
series. I believe EtherWave refers to the dual-port devices that are
essentially a mini-hub. You can hook two normal devices to one (that is
turned on, at least) with normal cables. Very handy.

> important, then it is your best bet--I use it with my PowerBook 160, a
> Performa 5200CD, my iMac DV, and a MP 120. It can also be used to network a
> printer. If you want to hook it up to a Mac's serial port, you may need to
> turn off Open Transport on that Mac.

Remember that most newer Macs can't have Open Transport turned off; they
dont' support the (now rather old) "classic networking". Some of the
Farallon devices are pure LocalTalk to ethernet converters, and will work
with both classic and OT. Basically, if you need a special driver
package, you may be limited in OS version, but if it works without drivers
(like, say, on the Newton, since there are only drivers for PCMCIA
ethernet cards, not for serial ethernet adaptors) you can use any OS you
want.

gopi.