Re: NTLK AMMO

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 00:20:05 CDT

On 8/15/00 9:08 PM, DON [mailto:don@dcphotos.com] wrote:

>Help, I need help!!!!
>A friend of mind has "turned to the dark side". He left his 2100 for a Palm.
>NOW, he's trying to convert me (waste of time). Anyway, we were going back
>and forth about the pluses and minuses of the two. He said there are 300
>times more programs for the Palm than the Newton. I said "How many names and
>address programs do you need?".
>Anyway I thought I'd ask on this list ..."Why Newton over Palm?"
>
>My reasons are:
>1.The LARGER size
>2. The speed of the processor
>3. HWR
>4. That way COOL rainbow Logo!!!
>Let me Know..
>Don

Oh, I can think of a few more.

The usable backlight (makes a handy flashlight too....)

The TWO PCMCIA slots (to NO slots on most Palm units, or non-standard
ones if they have anything....except the TRG Palm unit made right here in
the city where I live, which can take CF cards)

The ability to use Ethernet.

The ability to record and play back digitized sound (so your Tricorder
emulator can use REAL tricorder sounds! <grin>)

The speech synthesis software (have your reminders READ to you, without
even having to open th unit)

Ask him for PROOF that there are 300 times more programs. I think that's
a bit of hyperbole. I'm sure there are probably more, but it ain't 300
times more. There are thousands of programs still available for the
Newton, with more still being developed.

"The Palm is the perfect size when closed and in your pocket. The Newton
is the perfect size when IN USE."

As someone who owns and usees BOTH a Palm IIIx and several Newtons
(UG2000, 2100, 130, UOMP/MP100) I think I have relevant experience! ;-)

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/