NTLK love my TAM :-)

From: Jeff Knee (jdknee@ufl.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 04:12:40 CDT

The TAM can be seen at this website: http://tam.axon.net/
It's design is remarkably similar to the Newton, with its
juxtaposed convex and concave facings and, compact greenish
body. You can tell it was designed at the same time as the
MP2000. It's really quite unique.
My TAM has the max RAM (128MB) and Photoshop sails thru it
about as well as my G3 at work. I have a USB/Firewire PCI
card, to stay updated with new peripherals. It's the only
PCI slot, but I could expand with an external PCI box ($1000
at www.magma.com) if they'll work on a TAM. Right now I'm
putting in an ethernet card (it didn't come standard) so I
can get onto a DSL network. I'm also waiting for G3 (or G4)
upgrades to come down or hurry up, before getting one.
I listen to a CD or FM stereo thru the Bose speakers when I
work on my TAM, since it came with an FM/TV card (which
could also hook up to cable TV, letting me watch Regis while working).
The LCD screen, set at Apple/Page White Gamma (6500 degrees,
1.8) lets highlight details show up better than on a CRT.
Some may think it's small (12") but set at 800x600, it's fine.
On the TAM site, the only area on concern is that some TAMs
have some kind of insufferable buzzing sound. If you search
on eBay, you might inquire about that. Neither Apple nor
Bose can seem to find a remedy, but it only afflicts a small
percentage. Apple does offer a G4 swap if nothing can be
done w/in the 3 yr warranty.
My TAM's floppy drive kept malfunctionsing, and had to be
sent in for service 3 times the first month I owned it (it's
now 2.5 yrs old and fine).
Jeff
Gainesville, FL