Re: NTLK Cadenza syncs over Ethernet

From: J. van de Griek (Joost_van_de_Griek@nl.yachtgroup.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 04:44:07 CDT

Lui Frimmel wrote:

> At 17:42 16.08.00 -0400, you wrote:
> >I'm not quite sure why this now works, but after restoring my network, I
> >can now get Cadenza to sync the Newt over Ethernet (Mac users can stop
> >yawning now). This still doesn't help Windows users with package loading
> >(NCU, X-Port), export (NCU, X-Port or BinHexer) and backup, but sync'ing
> >names, to-dos and meetings went from an hour over serial to 3 minutes
over
> >Ethernet.
> >
> >Makes me want to fork over money to purchase a G4 PowerMac exclusively
for
> >Ethernet use with the Newton.
>
> Expensive minutes ;-)
> - for Apple user NCU is via AppleTalk over ethernet, so
> ethernet is limited to 230.000 in theory - in praxis and measured its
> 20-35% less.
> . On PC you can use the serial with 115000. As there is much of the time
> used for
> writing the packages dates etc the real winnings in transmission time
arent
> that great.

Not true. AppleTalk over LocalTalk is limited to 230kbps, but AppleTalk over
Ethernet uses the full available bandwith of the Ethernet connection, which
is (in theory) 10Mbps. It is true that AppelTalk is a rather verbose
protocol compared to, say, TCP/IP, but still, AppleTalk over Ethernet is
*way* faster than any serial connection, including LocalTalk.

,xtG
..tsooJ

--
Joost van de Griek