Re: NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #92

From: Ivan Shaw (ishaw@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 22:25:08 CDT

On Thu, Aug 17 2000 ThisOlNewt@aol.com wrote:
>BTW
>Anyone have broadband? I am looking into that or DSL
>Pro's Cons? Do they work with a Newt

Rich,

I have broadband connectivity at home from Bell Canada. Service is based on Nortel's "1 MB modem" technology, which is a form of splitterless DSL (1 Mbit download, 128 kbps upload). It works with my Newt as I use a Nexland hardware router to handle NAT and the cursed PPPoE client.

Why did I pick this over cable? I don't like the idea of sharing bandwidth and I definitely didn't appreciate the cable service's 6 GB transfer cap. How do I find it? A 1 Mbit download speed is a bit pokey; I'm trying to get 8/1 Mbit or 2 Mbit/640k DSL (either comes with a block of static IPs) but they don't want to provide the faster access because I want it for residential use.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ishaw