Re: NTLK 120 and Keyboard help

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 10:04:15 CDT

"Cook, Thomas" wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I have two MP120's, both with OS2.0. On my original 120 the keyboard works
> fine but on the backup 120 I does not seem to work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I am not sure how to tell if either is an updated 120 vs. an original 2.0
> 120 although I have noticed that the backup 120 (the one that does not work
> with the keyboard) has a little 2.0 sticker next to the serial number
> sticker inside the battery compartment. I did not buy either of these new
> so I have no documentation indicating whether they were 2.0 upgrades or not.
>
> Thanks-
> TJC
>
> PS- I did try searching the archives and various FAQ's for a fix/suggestion
> but I was unable to find anything.
>
> PSS- I have also been unable to download the Claris organizer file that is
> at cage? I get text instead of a download as has been reported. But I have
> not tried in a few days.

Open Extras, tap "i", then "Memory Info". You'll get a dialog telling
you which version of the ROM you have. I'm not sure if this works on a
NOS 1.3-based Newton, since I don't have one anymore.

The sticker in your backup 120 seems to indicate that this unit has been
upgraded from NOS 1.3 to NOS 2.0. In that case, the keyboard should just
work. I think it's on pre-NOS 2.0 Newtons that you need some kind of
software to make the keyboard works.

The problem with your Organizer file is that the server and/or your
browser don't recognize this file type and default to text. If using a
Macintosh, click on the link and hold the mouse button down until a
popup menu appears. If using a 2-buttons mouse or a PeeCee, right-click
the link. Then, from the popup, select "Save link to disk..." or similar
option, depending if you're using Communicator or Explorer.

If you're on a Mac, you will probably need to fix the file type of the
file, or it won't be recognized as a valid file by Organizer. If on a
PC, you need to have the right file extension. Can't tell you what file
type or extension is valid since I don't use Claris Organizer.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com