Re: NTLK NetTime

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 11:58:08 CDT

Heiko Cultus wrote:

> I have uploaded NetTime to the Info-Newt ftp Server. With PkgInfo I get
> the same Version Number as with SBMUtilities: Version 3

Yes. Like Paul Guyot, I did realize that the original NetTime package,
as provided as an example for the NIE 2.0 developers, has been modified
by someone who did release it on some sites, without updating the
internal version number, nor the package signature. They just emphasized
the version 1.1 on the sites where it was available for download, but
other than that, there is no way to easily identify this "hacked"
version.

The original Newton Developer Technical Support's NetTime didn't have an
"Auto-sync" checkbox, nor a "Sync now" button. The original one would
always auto-sync. That was the purpose of the example: how to register a
callback with NIE to get notified when a link is established.

However, those that did update the original source to add the
"Auto-sync" checkbox and the "Sync now" button had introduced a bug in
the process. From what I've seen, they're not saving the "auto-sync"
value in the same setting that they're using to read it, so it was, in
my case, always false, resulting in a non-auto-sync NetTime.

I will see if I can easily add the modifications to the original source
distribution, increase the internal version number and release it as
version 1.1.1, or something like that, unless someone wants to do it. If
so, could you be kind enough to let me know, as we certainly don't want
to have 2 persons working on the same issue, given the scarce
programming resources that remain loyal to the platform?

In the meantime, check Andrew Maier's solution, or mine from yesterday
about how you can permanently turn on the Auto-Sync feature. Remember
that you will have to do the reverse process, i.e. setting the
"NetTimeAutoSync:DTS" setting to nil if you don't want the feature
anymore, as the "Auto-sync" checkbox will fail to change it.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com