Re: NTLK Ethernet Card Confusion Galore...

From: Ivan Shaw (ishaw@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 10:35:38 CDT

At 08:24 AM 8/19/00 -0700, Joel Watson wrote:
>Hi all! I'm running into a bit of confusion. It was my belief from stuff I
>had read when I bought my MP110 about six months ago that there was only
>one ethernet card that worked with the Newton (the Farallon card) and it
>was no longer being made.

First of all, if the MP110 is the Newton you're currently using, discussion
of Ethernet connectivity is moot. This is definitely a NewtonOS 2.0 thing.

Farallon did make the one and only supported Ethernet card for Newton (the
PN595, which was a re-badged 3Com card with some firmware changes). There
were a couple of models of this thing, depending on which dongle came with
the card and there is the unit you mention the PN895, which has that big
hub-thing at the end of it. I have the PN595-combo, which came with dongles
for both 10BaseT and coax.

Farallon's current PN595 is the PN595a, which is not compatible with
Newtons so what they list on their website is correct (the stopped selling
the original some time ago).

As for buying one new, I saw something on Bill Davis' Info-Newt website
<http://www.info-newt.com> about a fellow who has dug up a small supply of
cards (like 2), but you'd be better off trying to locate one of the other
cards which has unofficial support. I currently use the 3Com 3CXE589ET,
which has a 10BaseT X-Jack connector that can use standard patch cables.

Victor Rehorst maintains an excellent Ethernet FAQ at his website
<http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet>, which lists supported card
(including identifying photos) and provides the requisite driver packages
to get them going on a compliant Newton. Recommended/required reading if
you're going to implement Ethernet as part of your Newton's bag of tricks.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ishaw http://www.ivanshaw.com