Re: NTLK re: Newton and DSL

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 18:07:57 CDT

On 8/19/00 4:52 PM, jimthej [mailto:jimthej@pacbell.net] wrote:

>For a time I ran Vicomsoft's SurfDoubler on my G3 as a demo. Worked
>flawlessly with my Newt as it sets itself up as a DHCP server and dishes out
>an internal address to client machines. I loved it and am about to go back
>and buy it. All I have to do is figure out how to get Cat 5 from the
>computer room about 100' to my big chair in front of the TV.(And not make my
>wife mad.)
>
>Jim Johnston
>Teacher
>Mac Smacker
>Newton User

Well, for a laptop, get an AirPort hub and card (or WaveLAN card if
you've got an older Powerbook like I do). I do. I can roam about the
house with my PowerBook, works fine from the 2nd floor to the basement!
Running Ethernet in a house can be a ROYAL pain.

For a Newton...hope that gopi or Hiroshi get a WaveLAN driver working!

Or look at Stacey Tenen's recent post on Neweted about the RangeLAN2
stuff. More expensive than AirPort, but should work with things other
than the Newton too.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/