Re: NTLK Re: newton color

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 08:39:43 CDT

"Michael J. Hussmann" wrote:

> Kenny Song (kensong@pc.jaring.my) wrote:
>
> > Are our color perceptions that poor? Have anyone considered that there
> > may be some color variants among batches though I know Apple's QC is
> > pretty stringent. I have an MP2000 and MP2100 side by side and the latter
> > does look darker.
>
> There may be minor differences between batches, but I don't believe
> that's the reason why we all disagree about the Newton's color. Our color
> perception is far from absolute -- it is highly context dependent, and in
> many or most cases, even the left and right eyes won't agree about color.
> Also the source of lighting plays a major role here -- if it doesn't
> produce a continuous spectrum, the specific Newton-green might be missing
> completely, and in that case, the Newton would appear to be black.

I completely agree with Michael. The lightning makes all the difference. All those people reporting mine is black, mine is green are kind of moot, since there is no way we can know
under what lightning environment you're looking at it.

I mean, if someone here as done a bit of photography, they would know what I'm talking about.

Another thing we don't know is how the wearing on the case affect the coating and what happen when the "rubbish" coating starts to wear off.

So, different worn out MP2x00 may appear of different colors, that's a possibility I think.

One thing for sure, it seems that nobody from one color will be able to convince someone from the other color's clan...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com