RE: NTLK Question about Newton Press Formats

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 06:03:58 CDT

If someone could send me short MP2K 2-Up and eMate 2-Up book examples,
I could look into adding these Page Sizes to Newt's Cape.

also if anyone has a book that contains multiple formats, please send it;
I've never seen one, and the developers of Newton Press didn't seem to have
one...

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:32:04 -0400
From: "Filmer, Paul E" <pfilmer@nsf.gov>

Loren -

2000-2-Up simply divides the landscape orientation into two pages, side by
side with a 202x280 total pixel size and 4 bit depth. If you rotate a book
in this format to portrait, you get only one page at a time. This format
will open on a 2000, 2100 and eMate in any orientation, but will open on the
130 only in portrait (because...).
At least for Newton Press books, this is actually quite a complex question.
It depends on several things: a) what platform you are viewing the
NewtonBook with, b) what version of Newton Press was used to make the book,
and c) whether the Newton Book was made on a Mac or a PC.

The simplest answer is to use the Universal, MP2000 2-Up or eMate 2-Up
layouts so that you gain access to the greatest number of platforms in the
greatest number of orientations. More detail available if anyone is
interested.

Paul F.