Re: NTLK MacIP server

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 07:58:45 CDT

>Does anyone know where I can get the software to setup a MacIP server?

the Newton over the serial port using MacIP. It's a step-by-step
description.

I was going to do this to let me email from my MP130 while at work, since
our phones aren't standard, but ran into 2 important blocks:

1) The network guys had a fit when I asked about setting up my own NAT :)

2) I have a B/W G3, which means my serial port is provided by a USB-serial
adapter, and none of those adapters will pass Appletalk packets (MacIP uses
Appletalk to bundle the PPP connection) (DON'T hassle me about the
semantics of this last bit, it's close enough to correct for 95% of users)
so you CANNOT do MacIP if you are relying on a USB-serial adapter for your
connection to the MP.

If this might be useful to you or others I can post the directions
somewhere (and Victor can archive them for posterity :)

Brian