Re: NTLK Ntlk : A Newtoneer in Palmville, Day 2

From: sunder (sunder@sunder.net)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 17:15:27 CDT

Loren Finkelstein wrote:

> on 8/22/00 8:05 PM, THX 1138 at 1f2frfbf@newted.dyndns.org wrote:
>
> > Be careful with this. On the Palm IIIx I tried, the onboard calc didn't
> > support mathematical order (ie. 8+2*4=40 instead of 8+2*4=64) this was
> > rather annoying. I fixed it with an add-on program but was a bit shocked
> > the first time it disagreed with my head calculations...
>
> Um... 64??? Wouldn't the other choice be 16?
>
> I thought calculators were supposed to process input linearly, and not in
> mathematical order. They keep a running subtotal. On any calculator I have
> ever used 8+2*4 is processed as 8 + 2 = 10. That times 4 = 40.

Good calculators support parens ie. ( and ). Hence the need for add on
calculator software. Both for Newt and Palm.

One thing I've never understood is why MacOS always provided a lame calculator. Even the evil Win3.1 out of the box provided a
scientific calculator (just pull down the view button and pick scientific). Ditto for the Newt. You always wind up replacing it
with some third party calc.

What's funny on the Mac is that after the PowerPC's came out, there was a graphing calculator that you could do so pretty cool
graphics with, but the built in calc was still the usual four function job.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\