Re: NTLK A Coding Call to Arms: Future Projects (was Hotline) - and, um, an idea....

From: Darl Singh (darl@xpress.net.nz)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 15:58:30 CDT

Another possibility:
AFAIK, many of the 'major' PIMS have some ability to write/read to a 'standard' format -
some sort of Database.

What about something that 'dumps' to that format from the Newt, opens and 'exports as' on
the Desktop then (on PCs) some Visual Basic script to I/O data? The comparator would be
tough, but once written, may well be able to be adapted to other Desktop PIMS - eg ACT,
Goldmine, Outlook.
Less sure - but can't Applescript be used to do similar on a Mac?

FWIW - I'd change PIMS and 'Mail client(s) just to be able to do this seamlessly.

If I could get something similar on the Notes side - say, autoformatting to RTF or (even
better) opening as an 'import' file in Word (RTF), I'd pay ....
(Yes, am aware of the NCU RTF export thing - but its still kludgy. I'm thinking of
something more like a Digital Camera here with TWAIN support: most grahpics progs allow
'uploading' within the prog).

Some sort of scripting to allow 'sync' folders of this sort of material would be
stunning.....to say the least and would (for me) make the Newt viable again.
FWIW - in spite of the crashing Kiwi $, I'd pay up to US$200 for a prog that did all the
above.
Beauty is Dtop powers' cheap and we only need 'dedicated' Newt 'scripters for one end (and
a bit: reformatting of the data) of the process....

Another idea - and yes, I know how far out _this_ is.....<deep breath>
I have a Nokia 8810. Data comms via IR only. Ability to act as a modem - but in 'software'
only on the PC (or WINCE device..).
As stated, Smartdog don't think they're ever likely to get Newt to talk data with an IR
phone.
BUT - we have a 'modem' slot in a 2x00. What chances of building an EPROM that (either)
software-modems OR is a hardware modem and in either case 'directly' accesses the IR port?
My thought is to 'trick' the NOS into thinking a 'normal' modem is attached to the second
(unused) serial port and use a hardware implementation to do the 'talking' via IR.
Any thoughts? - or is this just way too big a step?
Used to know some HW hackers that might be intersted in having a crack at this if the 'Big
Guys' (Paul, Laurent, Steve etc) think this is 'maybe' possible and we can cobble enough
data together for the Newt to understand......

OK <flame suit on> - where have I gone wrong?

-D

<snip>