Re: NTLK Default Style

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 03:51:20 CDT

>Included in the next system update ? ;-)

Maybe. I still wonder how to do that. Indeed, I could do the
following: everytime a character is searched in a font and isn't
found, I could use another font but the style data won't be present.
I have looked in the Mac: when you type with an input method, data is
inserted in the proper font. (but in fixed font we have the same
problem as with NewtonOS). When you try to change the font of
characters for another script (for example when you try to set some
Japaneese in Geneva) it will display an alert telling you that you'll
lose information and that you need to press the option key down.

What I thought is the following model:
I hack TParagraphView to ensure that paragraphs with a fixed font
will have read-only styles. (you won't be able to change them).
I hack the style application to say that you want to change the font
to something that won't handle those characters, but you will be able
to do it if you really want.
I hack the input mechanism of TParagraphView (adding new words) to
use the current style or to change it for the word if required,
reverting the default style to the current style just afterward.
I add a preference to choose the default font with some unicode range.

The problem is that if I put all that in a system patch, it will take
more kbs. I may put only a part in a system patch or do as I did for
my own tests a system patch and a special package to do that which
would require this patch.

I am not totally sure it is the best way. Until I have found
something satisfying, I'll still work on my other occupations.

Regards,

Paul

--
P&M Consulting Newton Program