NTLK NewtonPress why bother? - you wanna be a Paperback Writer

From: arthur battram (apb@cityplex.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 08:17:25 CDT

 John Skinner said

> Subject: Re: NTLK Where is NewtonPress?

>> I see it mentioned from time to time but can't find it anywhere. Am I
>> not looking in the right places or is there another program that will do
>> the same function?

I got it from the apple website yonks ago, but its horrible- buggy,
non-intuitive doesn't feel like a Mac app at all.

if you use a Mac, you should try 'Paperback' by David fedor, which converts
text files to downloadable newt-bookstyle pkgs with a couple of clicks. it
was created in '94, yet works fine on my mp2kU.

but the downside is that it only does plain text [although you can specify
font and size, and make it changeable in the resulting pkg.

if you want formatted text you'll have to use the dreaded Newton Press or
Bookmaker.

Paperback should be easily findable on the usual Newton download sites, if
not I've got it.

best wishes
apb

PS: poor quality curry-related jokes [may need explaining to non-UK
readers], which relate vaguely to this query

joke 1:

john lennon goes into an indian restaurant.

when his food arrives he notices a small bowl of yogurt with little bits of
paper mixed into it.

"'Ere, wack*, what's this grotty** looking stuff?"

"But we made it specially for you, Mr Lennon, in honour of you wonderful
tune," says the confused waiter.

"Cool, but what is it?" asks the Scouse strummer.

"Paperback Raita, of course." is the reply

* = note authentic 60s liverpule slang
** = factoid - grotty was invented or at least popularised by george
harrison in one of the fab four moptops movies

joke2:

bloke goes into curry house, notices an item on the menu:
chicken tarka masala

"'Ere, wack*, what's this ?"

[for it is yoko ono's deceased husband again]

"well, sir, it is like chicken tikka masala, but a little otter."

boom boom!
[as another small furry creature, Mr Basil Brush used to say.]

I'll get my coat.

apb