NTLK Re: ? stylewriter 2200

From: CM Stimpson (macheel@dialfree.net)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 10:10:13 CDT

on 8/26/00 1:09 AM, Glenn Roe at myhome@cwnet.com wrote:

> I just won an HP deskwriter 340 on ebay
> that has a battery pak, and infrared connector that is supposed to work
> with Newtons. There is a specific print driver for it on my MP. When I
> get it I will report back to the group how it compares.
>
> Glenn Roe
> "Caregiver to 6 MP2100s and 4 eMates"

I bought my father-in-law an eMate a while back, and an HP Deskjet 340 with
infrared. I also own an eMate. We both are able to print great from our
eMates to the Deskjet 340 via infrared. However, the serial cable
connection we could never get to work with that printer. To my knowledge,
there is only the infrared driver for that printer that works with MP's and
eMates.

If I remember correctly (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), in
order to print effectively (and FASTER) using infrared, you need to download
and install a package (extension) called "HP IrDA printers", which I THINK
you can download from the Apple tech support site. (It's been so long since
I installed those drivers, I can't remember where I got them from.)

I can't recall if that's the only thing you need to install or not.....it
seems to me that I may have installed the print driver, it was very slow,
and then I later installed an extension to make it faster. (Someone please
help me out here, I'm struggling to remember.)

After I installed that second extension, the eMate printed faster (or at
least as fast) using infrared with the HP 340 printer as it did using a
serial cable and my StyleWriter 2500.

At any rate, I know that it works, and works WELL.

CM

--
The box said "Windows 95 or better" so I bought a Macintosh.