RE: NTLK List assistance

From: PlanetNewton Webmaster (webmaster@planetnewton.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 14:09:41 CDT

Ivan,

Remember when this problem happened back in January with your sympatico.ca
account? At the time it turned out NewtonTalk had been blocked from sending
you messages at sympatico.ca because someone else at your ISP signed up a
list to the NewtonTalk list and caused a mail flood at sympatico.ca.

As I remember it the problem was with your ISP blocking your subscription...

Perhaps this is occuring again? I hate to use the list to help you with
this, but I also note that my email sent to you on 8/21 from Planet Newton's
webmaster has not been answered -- if you did not receive it then check with
your ISP and ask why mail from NewtonTalk is being blocked from your ISP's
mail server.

This is definitely a problem with your ISP, not with the list. Here's the
email I sent you at ishaw@sympatico.ca via webmaster@planetnewton.com which
I am presuming you did not recieve, but was definitely sent:

you sure your ISP isn't blocking your list subscription themselves? Please
re-subscribe on the webpage, then immediately post a message called TEST to
newtontalk@planetnewton.com from your subscribed account. If I can see this
test message appear on the list then your subscribe worked. If you don't
receive the list, then it's likely your ISP is blocking your subscription
since NewtonTalk generates a massive amount of list messages, some ISPs have
limits on what you can receive. Also, be sure your Inbox has no filters set
up to re-route NewtonTalk elsewhere.

(My apologies to other list members for sending an administrative email to
the list, but it's the only way I can be sure he receives.)