Re: NTLK Flash memory

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 16:19:29 CDT

>Is there a rule when buying flash memory? Ebay has a few Simple tech 8MB
>pieces
>for about $20.

(This is the last place you want to post about cheap flash RAM on auction
(unless you are the seller and wish the price to increase geometrically (or
even to a log power :)

I just checked ebay and didn't find the card you mention above, so can't
say a whole lot (I won't let that stop me from posting though :)

But generally the stuff you see is not suitable for use with a MP; you must
have 5/5V or 5/12V LINEAR FLASH (not ATA, not Compact flash, or anything
else- if it works in a newer model digital camera, for example, it's not
the right kind).

and some models of MP can only use one or the other of the 5/5V or 5/12V
variants, not both types.

The Newton MP FAQ from www.chuma.org talks a bit about what memory works
and what does not.

Another thing to consider is that the devices that use the same type of RAM
as the MP are mostly only routers anymore, thus used cards can be very
problematic- their lifespan can me mostly gone, as flash ram has a finite
number of writes before it fails. I'd wish to know the source of the card.

HTH.

Brian