Corporate Braniacs (Was NTLK Setting POP and SMTP servers using Enroute iNet?)

From: Steve Dockery (sdockery@gte.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 07:31:01 CDT

Grant wrote:

> Frankly, I try to avoid IMAP... but that wasn't really the problem. I'm
> already running my own mail server separate from the Microsoft Exchange
> boondoggle that our technology brainiacs down in the corporate head
> office have mandated across the company (ugh!). I won't let any of my
> mail touch that thing... the actual problem was that I couldn't find
> where to change my mail server settings on my Newt.

I feel for you. They installed Exchange at my office too. We're a 95% Mac
office, but they installed a windows-centric email system (several of the
features they picked it for aren't implemented in the current Mac version of
the Outlook client!). Then they did a demo for the staff using Windows, and
almost as an afterthought told us what features he'd just demo'ed weren't
functional on the mac, but hopefully will be when the next version comes
out.

Regardless of your Mac or PC affiliation, anybody with any brains would
think you'd try to pick a system that addresses the users' needs. Instead,
out network people pick things that make their job the easiest (since
they're already Windows NT geeks).

*sigh*

The dumbest thing is how much more powerful and attractive the Outlook
Express email program (FREE) is than the Outlook Client for Exchange (costs
$). Ah, but that's probably because OE is built by the MS Mac-only division
and Outlook isn't...

-Steve Dockery