Re: NTLK New StrongARM processor

From: James Simons (jesimons@bigplanet.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 21:34:53 CDT

Robert Benschop wrote:

>How come that there are only a 133 and a 206 version ? And wouldn't the 206
>version be a good replacement for the Newton ?

nope.. totally different processor.. it will not work in a system designed
for a SA-110..
all of it's I/O is controlled by the companion chip, the SA-1111..*afaik*..
so, to actually use the SA-1110, you need the SA-1111..

>Always meant to stay within the original specs, was just wondering if this
>would be a cheaper (and maybe better) alternative to the pix upgrade.
>Still makes me wondering about this 206 version....

it's like trying to cram a P-3 in a 486 board.. sure it will work, if you
totally redesign the mobo.. but, then you wouldn't have a 486 board.. you'd
have a P-3 board..

it's just not gonna work.. no dice..

if you want a cost-effective speed bump, just get the Implant from Oscar..
you'd save yourself 185.00 in repair from apple, and you'd get the mild
speed bump you want..

j.