NTLK Virus warnings

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 03:59:26 CDT

>If my virus
>protection software isn't equipped to handle the virus even with updated
>virus definitions, there is frankly not much I could do to prevent the
virus
>from attacking if it ever came my way, assuming that the creator is smart
>enough to write an automated script which will initiate with very little /
>no user input.

Allow me to disagree humbly and with all due respect. A virus protection
program
is only as good as the updates. How often do you update your program?
Hourly?
Daily? Weekly? Automatically whenever something new comes along?
When the "I love you" virus surfaced, I got a message about updated
virus definition files from my virus protection program vendor about one day
later
than I had my first infected mail. The reason I knew of its existence before
was
because there were people who did their best to communicate the danger to as
many
people as possible.
If ever I was going to program a virus, I would try to make it look like a
hoax and
spread the news as wide as possible. This would be the safest way to make it
successful.

Frank