Re: NTLK eMate charger

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 06:24:16 CDT

on 30-08-2000 10:46, Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT at
Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com wrote:

>> I just bought 3 eMates on saturday. They are all unused and came with
>> cdr-copies of the eMate Connectivity CD, a serial cable and a power
>> adapter. This last item is the problem: it is providing 7.5 V/1.33A. When
>> having the eMates connected a warning is displayed after +/- 1 minute, saying
>> "The adapter is providing too much power. The battery cannot be charged with
>> this adapter."

> Strange thing. Never heard that one yet. While developing BattLog I power
> all Newtons I test it with from an adjustable power supply that can supply a
> maximum of 40 Amperes, and I have never had that message yet.
> I could imagine that maybe this message refers to voltage, not to current as
> you assume. You can check that by measuring the voltage (while the adapter
> is not connected to the eMate) with any voltmeter you can get your hands on.
> It should not be more than 7.5 volts.

I know the company where he bought them and the chargers in question,
believe me, this message comes up and those adapters stink big time.
Though the company will tell you that everything is fine and the eMates
message is wrong I would dump these adapters a.s.a.p. (maybe in a river
somewhere in Russia ?) and get some original ones !
(NewtonOz still has them AFAIK)

Robert Benschop