Re: NTLK Columbo's Mystery Capers - EXPLANATION

From: Oz Suguitan (ozs@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 13:45:04 CDT

Your eMail from jerrytommygal@hotmail.com on 8/31/00 8:44 AM said this:

>I keep finding sales of this game everywhere. What type of game is it? How
>interesting is it? Will it work on a 2100?
>Any enlightment is welcome...
>Thanx, Jerry

Yes, we have it for sale as well.

It was published by StarCore, the "publishing arm of Apple developed
especially for Newton". So, you know where StarCore went! hehehe

Anyhow, it' a detective/clue game that was, for a time, given out free
with the purchase of a Newton 100. Because it was given away, there were
a lot of copies made, that's why you still see it sold out there in
various forms. There's the normal retail box (which is what we have in
stock at NewtonOz), there's the white/OEM box (which was rare), and then
there's the Jewel case box, which is even rarer (I only saw it once).

Basically, you get a b/w picture of a crime scene. You click on parts of
the screen to get clues about the crime, and you deduce from those clues
what really happened at the crime scene. There are lots of crimes on the
card, and they are rated by thier relative difficulty. It's a great
game!!!

Compatibility:

The game works on NewtonOS 1.x, 2.0 and it kinda works with NOS 2.1

The game was designed for the screen of the 1.3 and 2.0 Newtons, and
doesn't draw correctly in some instances on the 2.1 Newtons (2000, 2100,
eMate).

Problems with NewtonOS 2.1 and Columbo:

-Sometimes the clue hot spots will be not exactly be tappable where they
should be; doesn't matter for the large clues, but for the smaller ones,
it can be a pain.

-The Columbo main slip is not dragable and does not have an outline, so
it seems to float. Asthetic problem only.

-While you are in a crime, the close box does not work, so you need to go
back to the main menu with an overview tap.
-If you have a lot of running packages and are close to filling the heap,
it will sometimes freeze the Newt.

Other than those problems, you should be able to run the game on the 2x00
series, and eMate 300 Newts.

-Oz
of NewtonOz

NewtonOz Items