Re: NTLK

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 21:39:34 CDT

Ok, part two!
Here is what I sometimes do with surface mount chips
when I'm not sure if all the contacts are soldered.
I use an acid brush and dab on some liquid flux (use
water solluable organic flux) on the solder joints in
question. Then I use an industrial heat gun (the kind
that is used for shrinking heat shrink tubes) then
while pressing down on the chip (resistor, capacitor
or whatever), I use a pin-point adaptor on the heat
gun and direct the heat on the traces (works best if
there is open board space near the traces in
question). The heat gun will melt the solder and the
flux will aid the flow. I can usually solve my most
difficult surface mount problems with this method...
But I wouldn't recommend it for highly populated
boards, or if you're not too sure of your timing (you
can't leave the heat gun in one space too long or you
will cook the board!)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT"
<Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com> wrote:
> >Get a can of cold shot or something similar. This
> is a
> >can of freon that will chill anything that is
> sprayed
> >with it. While the newt is operating, spray
> different
> >parts of the MB, the theory being that the sudden
> cold
> >will open up any "faults" in either a solder trace,
> or
> >a hairline crack on a trace. Of course, sudden cold
> >shrinks things, causing a temporary fault to
> suddenly
> >fail.
>
> This is what I usually do as soon as I fail with the
> microscope.
> However, this didn't help either :-((
>
> Frank

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://mail.yahoo.com/