Re: NTLK I want, i want, i want...

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 23:51:01 CDT

On 8/31/00 11:48 PM, Mister [mailto:esworp@home.com] wrote:

> so, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of owning a newton, but I have a
>few questions...

And well you should be.

> You know how on the Palm website.. they have a comparison list of
>like, how many entries the internal memory of the device can hold... what
>would the estimate be for the a mp2000, for a mp2100...

Well, considering you can't expand a Palm's RAM beyond 8MB....and a 2100
has TWO PCMCIA slots you can put 32MB Linear Flash RAM cards into...plus
4 or 5 or so MB internal (I forget)....you do the math!

Score: Newton 1, Palm -1

> how realistic is the possibility of connecting the newt to my cable
>modem with a ethernet card?

100% realistic. I do it. So do otherse.

Score: Newton 1, Palm 0.

> How hard is it to swap/backup/install iMac-to-Newton,
>Newton-to-iMac... compared to the Mac Palm experience.

Very easy. On the Palm, you push a button. On the Newton, you
drag-and-drop a newton program file onto the Newton Connection Utilities
app. Or run the NCU app and click "backup" or "restore" or "synchronize.
  Or import/export documents to the built-in word processor and
spreadsheet (on some 2x00 models).

Backs up over serial (with USB adapter, on an iMac), LocalTalk (again,
USB adapter on iMac) or Ethernet (recommended, but you'll still probably
want at least a serial to USB adapter, for emergencies or your initial
load/reload of the Ethernet drivers if it doesn't come with a card and
all the stuff installed).

Score: Newton 1, Palm: 0 or even -1 (Ethernet crade for Palms is an
additional $250. Ethernet cards for Newton are under $50. Many cards
work).

> what is the top 'words per minute' of the handwriting recognition? I
>can overrun my palm even with it overclocked... :]

I can write a whole heck of a lot faster in my NORMAL printed or cursive
writing on my Newton than I can using the HORRIBLE Grafitti on my Palm.
But, if you want, you can get Graffiti for the Newton too, if you're one
of those poor souls who can't get a Newton to recognize your writing.
(I'm not one of 'em). Graffiti was created for the Newton before the
Palms even existed.

Score: Newton 2, Palm 0

And we haven't even discussed the use of OTHER types of cards (video our,
wireless networking and internet access, etc etc. ) Or how the Newtons'
backlight is actually bright enough to be USEFUL. Or the rubberized
case for easy holding (I've only dropped a Newton once since 1993. I've
dropped my Palm a half-dozen times since June of last year). Or the
nicely sized screen for writing on compared to the postage stamp size
Newton. Or a variety of other issues.

And on and on and on.

The only thing a Palm has going for it, really, is SIZE. It's handy to
keep in your pocket. But how hard is it to pick it up. And if you wear
cargo pants or a jacket with a big enough pocket (such as my leather
jacket), the Palm's advantage is lots.

I use 'em both, actually, but if I had to pick ONE to keep, the Newton
wins, hands down.

Get the 2100 or an upgraded 2000 (same as a 2100). Do NOT get a non
upgraded 2000....or upgrade it to a 2100 via Dave "Dr. Newton" Watson
ASAP. Trust me.

Plenty of software is available, and still being written for the Newton
too. Even someone working on a driver so Newtons can use ATA RAM cards
instead of the older Linear Flash!

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/