Re: NTLK Interest In More Internal FLASH For MP2x00 ?

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:54:51 EST

Hi Guys,

Okay:

1. I'm in...let me know what you need from us, Dave!

2. The additional Flash RAM is for storage ONLY. System heap is defined by
the amount of dynamic RAM that is installed on the Newton. The MP2000 to
MP2100 upgrade that Apple used to perform, and now Dave does, is a DRAM
upgrade, which enlarges the overall DRAM amount and positively impacts the
system heap. But, it appears, that system heap is also constrained by
limits imposed by NOS 2.1. There was a gentleman that installed 16 MB of
DRAM in his Newton, and got the normal heap upgrade, but no more. There was
a rumor on the PDA Dash boards that there was an oddball system version that
allowed the Newton to recognize the additional DRAM, alas...no joy. The
system version was installed and it didn't help.

Where the Flash RAM *may* impact is the available system heap. As more
active packages are installed, a "handle" for each active (unfrozen) package
is installed in the heap space so the system will be able to execute it.
More Flash, more handles installed, less heap space for execution, and the
slower the Newton reacts to various commands such as opening the Extras
drawer. Freezing a package will uninstall these "handles" and free up heap
space, but will also remove the app's functionality and access to
app-specific soup slots, etc.. AND will slow down the execution (due to the
"thawing" process) and closing (re-freezing) of an application I have two
32MB cards installed, and most of the non-critical apps are kept frozen to
alleviate this issue. More internal flash would simply require the same
freezing management methodology as before...just on a larger scale.

The upside is that when you need to remove a memory card to use a modem,
ethernet, or video card, you have more storage on-line than you used to.
More stuff can be stored internally, including packages, presentations,
drivers, notes, names, etc. As long as you manage the available heap, there
should be little to no impact from a performance standpoint. The
performance issue will arise from thawing frozen apps for execution, and
then re-freezing them when you close the app.

I hope this helped...

Regards,

Gary