NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #238

From: Marcus L. Schneider (schneidm@uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 18:56:59 EST

Hi,

>Subject: Card bak-up issues
>
>I have a a 20meg Pretec card that works fine, but right now it back-ups to
>read 20.1 meg whereas my Newton tells me there is only about 17 megs on it.
>What gives? I have heard of having more space taken up on the card than
>actual info, because of sloppiness over time, but not the oppposite way.
>jforstermd

Having been involved a bit in the development of "MobileBackup
http://www.modasys.de/ " it was apparent at one stage of the
Beta-testing that the "Memory Info" from "Extras" (at least on the
NOS 2.1) isn't showing the "real" amount of storage left/used on the
Newton !
It was pointed out that the routines (in the NOS) were outdated. So a
work-around was implemented, which more accurately calculated the
storage spaced left/used on each store present. This was necessary to
make sure there is enough storage space for a backup onto the
"targeted" store !

Conclusion: Don't count on the accuracy of the "Memory Info" slip !

Ciao,

Marcus

--
PGP key: <mailto:pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net?subject=GET 0xF6B02285>
... everything counts, in large amounts ... ?!

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com