Re: NTLK Ready and Willing to work on NewtonMAD

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 02:09:10 EST

On 2/18/2000 12:41 AM, Victor Rehorst [mailto:victor@gear.torque.net]
wrote:

>Just looking through the archive, and I noticed this message from Kenneth
>Wong a few weeks ago in reply to someone's question about a NewtonMAD
>archive:
>
>-----
>Yup. That's NewtonMAD alright :)
>
>Great to know it's still alive. My personal copy was lost when my
>notebook's HDD died several weeks back, so I guess that's all left of
>NewtonMAD
>-----
>
>What this means is that all that's left of NewtonMAD are the archives. I
>think it would be a huge loss if everyone were to delete their copy and
>lose all of the great *legal* software in there. Since I've got a week of
>free time coming up, I'd like to volunteer my time to clean up NewtonMAD.
>I'm not able to host it, but I would gladly check every packages legality
>and then send the cleaned-up archive to the mirror site(s).

Victor -

Depending on how big the cleaned-up NewtonMad files are, we could put it
on the Info-Newt FTP server (it's already on the DNUG server that we hope
one day to be a mirror of my server or vice-versa)

I've got about 400MB free now, but I could probably get at least 200MB
more with some cleanup work (mostly compressing log files and pitching
stuff from the standard MacOS 8.6 install, etc. The server logs alone are
128MB, and since text typically compresses about 80-90%, that may go down
to 5-10MB or less. Various installers are probably another 100MB. It's
a 1.2GB drive.)

I could even grant you full upload access to my whole FTP area, if you
want to integrate the NewtonMad stuff into mine. We'd want to discuss
organization and categorization after you'd cleaned things up and
determined what sort of stuff it left.

I'd rather not be the central location for mirroring, as I have rather
low outgoing bandwidth, although we could make occasional exceptions
(prearranged) if necessary for people to grab the whole site. We can
discuss it, anyway. Perhaps DNUG would be the better "central" spot.
Might not hurt to coordinate with Jakob at DNUG since he has a copy of
NewtonMAD on his server.

 - Bill Davis

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com