Re: NTLK Newton 2100 misc. items

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 03:27:53 EST

If you are wanting to use your Digital Startac on your
newton, then forget about it! Nothing will work. The
reason being is that a modem for a digital phone isn't
really a modem as much as it is just an interface.
(Modem stands for MODulator/DEModulator...and digital
phones don't do any modulation or demodulation of
analog signals) And there are very few cards that work
with digital phones. I believe that the dominant cards
come from Nokia. There are others I can't remember
now, but I can look them up, but none will work with
the Newton because there aren't any drivers available
for them (in fact most don't even have drivers for
Apple products period!)
So, unless you feel industrious and want to write your
own drivers, You are basically out of luck using your
digital phone with your Newton...besides, trash your
digital phone because it's junk anyway, the sound
quality is horrible (sounds like a drunken robot) and
drop outs occure an a higher rate than analog
phones...and 80% of phone users don't use the digital
features anyway (sms, call waiting, three way calling)
according to the CTIA and Wireless World
Magazine...Digital is just a ploy to sucker the public
into thinking that they are getting something "cool"
when they are charging the same rates as analog yet
cramming as much as 30 times the volume on already
overcrowded frequencies! (CDMA can stuff 30 calls on a
single frequency)
So, who's saving? Not you! The phone company and you
are paying for it!

Sorry for my rant, but this is a sore spot of mine!
Ed
Web/cell phone guru

=====
http://im.yahoo.com