Re: NTLK Life of a eMate Battery

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 14:17:16 EST

Rechargeable batteries as a rule do not last forever!
I don't have an eMate, but I do know about rechargable
batteries. Depending on the formula of the battery, it
should give 100% of it's capacity:
1000 charges for NiCad
750 charges for NiMH,
500 charges for Lion

Now, that assumes that you drain the battery completly
before you charge it back up...NiCad are notorious for
"memory" problems. This means that if you discharge
the battery only 30%, then recharge it, the battery
will only discharge 30% the next time and show
dead...even though there is 70% capacity left! You can
"reprogram" the "memory" by discharging the battery
completly, then charge it back up...repeat three times
in sucession and it will be back as good as new!
Battery "experts" claim that NiMH and Lion batts do
not suffer this "memory" problem, but through personal
experience, I noticed that they do (and secretly, Lion
battery scientists will admit that Lion batts suffer
the memroy effect as much as NiCads do) Quite
honestly, if you have had your rechargeable battery
for 3 years, then you have reached its usable life
span. that is if it's a NiCad battery...
I would try the charge/discharge and see if it can
give you any more life...if not, it's time to get a
new one. (btw, this battery information is valid for
ALL rechargable batts <except for lead-acid>, this
includes cell phones, computers, palmtops etc...)
Ed
web/cellphone/battery guru

=====
http://im.yahoo.com