Re: NTLK GPS & Newton

From: Marco Mailand (mmailand@newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 16:46:26 EST

>Von: "Pascal Massun" <pascal.massun@skynet.be>
> Now I bumped into GPS Map and GPS Map Lite.
> Could anyone give me some handon experience about GPS Map ? Availability of
> maps ? (especially European ones)
I bought GPSmap last year and use it sometimes here, in the CH. The very
positive thing to say is, that you can create your maps by yourself. The
mapmaking process looks complicated at the first glance, but if you got your
first map, you'll get all others done too. In principle can you do
everything by yourself if you have a scanner and good maps. The simple catch
is the following: The more details your map has, the bigger will it be. You
need to find a optimum between areas of importance for you, in which you
definitly will need all the resolution. If you're hiking in the canyons you
might scan in a map with 1:25000 scale or even more detailed. Or you might
need your city map with all streets. And you will definitly need a map of
your country (in my case CH) in order to record routes. Finally it might
happen that the city map of e.g. Zurich takes the same space like the CH
map. I've created a map of UK which was taking 6MB. The map of Europe, which
came with GPSmap contained 6 big regions (1:3 000 000), where each was only
3MB. But my map showed much more villages than the Shell Europe map.
To make it short: For all details the storage capacity of the Newton is to
limited, but if you can limit yourself to a few detailed maps and some
overviews than a bigger memory card (20...32MB) will be sufficient.

The ideal thing would be a Newton with GPS *and* cell phone internet
connection to e.g. MapBlast. I think NewtsCape could do something similar,
but didn't try it out because I dont have a cell phone.

--
Best regards! / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand http://www.dplanet.ch/users/roleto/welcome.html

****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by: