Re: NTLK MP3 decoding chip?

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 02:24:59 CDT

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Hans Johnson wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >Somebody mentioned seeing an MP3 hardware decoder chip with a serial
> >interface. Just wondering if any more info could be provided? With the
> >upcoming ATA drivers, it seems like there could be some usefulness to good
> >quality Newton audio. 16 bit 44.1kHz stereo is around 1.4Mbps, with the
> >serial ports specced at 2Mbps max. I don't know if that would be
> >practical, though 12 bit / 32kHz is half that and may be decent...
>
> FYI: you don't need to send the data to the chip at 2Mbit.. since
> most mp3's max out at 192 kbit, the standard 230.4kbit RS 232 would
> be more then adequate.

Actually, I was doing too many things at once and wasn't clear at all. I
am looking at two different possibilities - an MP3 decoder, needing low
bandwidth and very doable from the NewtonOS side, or just hooking up a DAC
to simplify the hardware side (well, somewhat simple, though I haven't yet
seen a DAC that accepted standard serial data, and doubt I will...but
maybe).

Your battery sled idea sounds pretty intriguing...
Though, wouldn't the DSP potentially be able to communicate directly over
the serial port? The NeXT system, for example, had DSPs externally
communicating directly over its high speed serial interface...

Good luck with your plans...

gopi.