NTLK Re: Off topic: minidisc (was MP3 decoding chip?)

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox@peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 11:41:56 CDT

* David Nett <troilus1@yahoo.com> on Tue, 18 Jul 2000
| *why* would you get a minidisc player/recorder when CDRs are just over
| $100 (and can be used for other purposes),

For music:

Because MDs have protective shells, very much like 3.5" diskettes, keeps
them from getting dirty or scratched. CDs require bulky cases to protect
them, and they are vulnerable while out of their cases. MD is never out of
its case. MD is durable.

Because MDs are less than ~2.5" square and 1/8" thick. CDs are 8"
diameter, plus whatever case is required for protection. MD is portable.

Because my $1.50 a pop MD blanks can be re-recorded about a million times,
CD-R is good for one shot only; CD-RW is good for a couple hundred. MD
blanks are a better value if reuse is a requirement.

Because MD has a "shelf life" of 30-50 years, if not more, before corrosion
begins to seriously affect the media. CD-R decomposes in 5-10 years, CD-RW
around 20-25 last I knew. Your music lasts longer on MD.

Because my $200 portable MD recorder can be used with any audio source,
like a live concert. You can't do that with a desktop or notebook computer.

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged