Re: NTLK Cellular phone connection - please help!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 14:08:01 CDT

In order to get an ANALOG StarTac cell phone to work
with the Newton, you need to get one of the now
discontinued motorola modems or a modem that is
specifically designed to work with the StarTac. I have
in the past used a StarTac 650 with a Motorola Cellect
modem and the StarTac to Modem interface cable. It
worked perfectly almost every time I used it. (Just
make sure that you have "look for dial-tone" turned
off)
Other than that, there is no difference between using
a StarTac or a LandLine.
The only difficulty is tracking down all the necessary
parts...

But!
If your startac is digital, and you are not on the
Sprint network, then you're SOL...sorry!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "SERGEI V. ORLOV" <ORLOV@LLGM.COM> wrote:
> I've spent the whole day seaching the web for
> solutions to use my Motorola StarTAC phone with
> Newton MP2000, but have not found anything. It's
> strange, but Motorola (who is participating in
> PowerPC manufacturing) does not support the Mac
> platform, and while there are lots of solutions for
> Windows CE, Palm and Psion, there are no IrDA
> drivers for Newton. Can someone explain me please
> what are the available solutions (if any). Can I
> buy a usual PC card modem and then somehow plug it
> into the phone (where can I get the necessary
> cables)? Thank you, fellow Newton users, in advance!
>
> ***************************************
> NewtonTalk brought to you by:
>
> EVOTE.COM -- the ESPN of politics on the Internet!
> All the players, all the news, and the hottest
> analysis and features (plus 'toons!) anywhere....
> visit http://www.evote.com today!

> Visit the NewtonTalk section at
http://www.planetnewton.com

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://mail.yahoo.com/