NTLK summary on Jaggies and screen replacement

From: Emil Volcheck (volcheck@acm.org)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 23:11:38 CDT

Jaggies have been driving me up the wall too!

I saw Victor's note in volume 1 number 24 and followed
his advice to check the archives, but not before searching
the FAQ, the PlanetNewton KnowledgeBase, Newton Cage, etc.
and not finding info about this problem.

Could someone add a section to the FAQ on this? It's
a frequently occurring problem. Below I've clipped a few
relevant responses that might serve as a basis for a
FAQ entry.

Thanks!

Emil Volcheck
Baltimore, Maryland

----

Apple will repair everything that is wrong with your MP for the flat fee of ~$186. I don't think you would be able to find a working MP2000 for that price.

I think NCU works under 7.1.

-Laurent.

-----

Call Apple at Us Customer SErvice 3790 Knight Road Memphis, TN 38118 800-767-2775

My screen was replaced last october. $189, and took 10 days but beware: they debit your credit card immediately rather then after they make the repair.

chris.

--------

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 23:52:43 -0400 From: Barry Rosenfeld <barryrosenfeld@home.com> To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com Subject: Re: NTLK Problems retaining pen alignment Message-ID: <3941BB8B.A55D11D8@home.com>

This pen alignment/squiggles problem is one that I lived with for a long time. Every time I thought I had figured out a miracle way to solve the problem -- and I tried numerous hardware and software means, many of which seemed to work for a time -- sooner or later, the problem came back. Finally, I bit the bullet and had my screen replaced. As far as I can tell, the problem is essentially mechanical. Unlike a PC or Mac screen, the Newton screen has a mechanical aspect to it. And after years of heavy use, they simply wear out. So squeezing here, or inserting a business card there, or "twisting" it, or cleaning the flexible connector that attaches the screen to the mother board, or searching out orphan system soup entries or other corrupt soup entries just make you think that you have figured something out. There is no magic bullet here. Don't waste a year living with the squiggles like I did. Sooner or later they stop going away no matter what you do. Call Apple and get yourself a new screen. You'll be glad that you did. --Barry *************************************** NewtonTalk brought to you by: