NTLK Re: eMate info

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:29:13 EST

on 02-03-2000 3:43, Mark Laflamme at doctorfunk@mail.com wrote:

> I read your message for installing new batteries in the Emate. Do you mind
> sending instrux to me? Also, know anywhere to find a Newton serial
> cable(8-pin to 9- pin) for hook up to PC?

It's actually much easier to change batteries in an eMate than in a 2x00.
All you need is an Torx 8 screwdriver, 4 NiMH 1200 mAh batteries (preferably
with soldering lips) and basic soldering skills.
(BTW, before replacing the batteries make a backup, two if you want to be on
the save side)
You unscrew the lid on the bottom of the eMate, disconnect and remove the
batteries from the eMate and remove the two plastic parts that hold the
batteries together. (they're held together by metal "bands" not too hard to
remove)
Take away the plastic membrane that holds the four batteries together,
replace the old ones for new ones, tape them together with thin tape, put
the two plastic parts around them again, reconnect, replace and close the
lid on again and start charging away.
Somebody from a local Newton mailing list used 1400 mAh NiMH batteries and
reported no ill side effects but he could use his eMate even longer without
recharging.
BTW, I'm still selling new eMates with one full year Apple warranty for
$ 425 plus $ 30 in shipping, just thought I'd mentioned it because quite a
few new people seem to have joined the list lately, mail me if you're
interested or if you want to know more details.

Robert Benschop

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com