Re: NTLK Iprint adapter and G4 problem

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 02:20:32 EST

On 3/20/2000 3:18 PM, Luther T. Garcia [mailto:ltgarcia@earthlink.net]
wrote:

>I have a G4 and I bought a Iprint adapter form farallon and my MP 130 will
>not recoginize the port( or the G4 will not recognize the adapter) I have a
>local talk bridge control panel in place and have followed the instructions
>to the letter. Is there something about the G4 that makes it unable to
>Communicate with the iprint adapter via Ethernet? I can see the lights
>blinking when my Messagepad is trying to link, but then it stops and says
>not responding.
>
>Thanks,
>

>Luther T. Garcia

I see your problem: REMOVE The LocalTalk Bridge control panel! You
don't need it if you have the Farallon iPrint (that's the iPrint LT, I
hope!). The iPrint hardware does the same thing as the LocalTalk Bridge
control panel, but does it in hardware (LT Bridge isn't supported by
Apple and has "issues, i.e. bugs, on MacOS 8.x)

Furthermore, the LocalTalk Bridge control panel is for machines with both
an Ethernet and a LocalTalk port, too. Your G4 normally doesn't qualify,
unless you have a USB to serial/localtalk adapter. But again, with the
iPrint, you don't need one. Just hook the iPrint to your Ethernet
hub/switch or to Ethernet port on the G4 (may need crossover cable to go
direct to the G4 a....better to get a small Ethernet hub!) and the
LocalkTalk port to a LocalTalk connectory and the LocalTalk connector to
your Newton 130. You can daisy chain additional localtalk devices if you
need to.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!