Re: NTLK NTlk Connection

From: Michael J. Hussmann (michael.hu@macmagazin.de)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 08:44:32 EST

Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch) wrote:

> I'm close to realize such a solution too. Is there anything out which
> does not need ISDN but can route the analogue internet access to an
> ethernet?

Marco,

I think there is -- there used to be routers that were just that, i.e.
without an ISDN or DSL adapter built in. You might also check out
Vicomsoft (www.vicomsoft.com) -- their SoftRouter or SurfDoubler provides
router functionality for any Mac equipped with a modem (or ISDN
card/adapter, for that matter). There are trial versions of both
SoftRouter and SurfDoubler available for download.

I can really recommend the hardware router, though. Connecting through
the router is so much faster than via RemoteAccess that it becomes
totally transparent. You will usually set the idle time to something
short like 30 seconds, so if you are reading some text on a web page, the
router will disconnect after 30 seconds of inactivity, and immediately
reconnect once you click on a link.

Michael J. Hussmann

Redaktion macmagazin
Leverkusenstrasse 54 VII