Re: NTLK Severe Jaggies Problem :-(

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 00:06:06 EST

Matt.
I've taken apart my Newton and noticed that there is a
compression clamped flex cable that connects to the
main board. This ribbon cable just sits on top of a
piece of rubber and the contacts to the flex ribbon
are squashed onto the mainboard by two screws (the
area where this ribbon cable is if you run your thumb
down the pen well on the front, then stop just past
the powerswitch. If you squeeze here, you may notice
that the jaggies go away...If so, you need to go
inside your Newt and torque the screws down...be
careful though, this is plastic that you are torquing
into and if you strip the thread, then you're really
SOL!!!!!I mean it! it won't be pretty!
If you do strip the plastic (but don't break it) you
might be successful with some Loctite 721 (or is that
271...I forget)
But hey, you shouldn't strip it in the first place!
Hey! I don't think I need a disclaimer here, do I? I
mean if you don't feel comfortable cracking open your
Newt, then by all means, don't!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Matt Garrison <iluvmacs@mac.com> wrote:
> Hey all, I've got a Newton 2100 (upgrade) that is
> having the infamous
> "jaggies" problem. It affects the lower right
> quadrant of the
> screen, including the button bar (very annoying to
> tap the wrong
> thing!). I've ran paper, etc. under the plastic
> around the screen
> several times (probably 20 by now...) and it's not
> helping a bit.
> I've noticed that if I let it sit w/o batteries for
> about 15 minutes,
> it won't have the problem for the first 2 minutes or
> so of power-up
> (any connection, or just coincidence?). When
> running the paper over
> the screen, I've noticed that the plastic on the
> lower left side is
> somewhat tighter on the screen than other places,
> could this mean
> anything? And just a note, the screen was replaced
> about a year ago.
> Does anyone have any ideas? This is getting REALLY
> annoying! Thanks
> in advance,

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!