Re: Re: NTLK Off Topic - Mac Help

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 17:31:04 EST

I guess I'm spoiled...I have used AOL for years and
have NEVER had a problem with it ever! But then again,
their main headquarters are just 5 miles away from my
home...
ed
web/gadget guru

--- Alexander Hertzog <newton_nicodemus@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> > granchildren etc...... Just
> > because it is not geared to an individual who is a
> > tech-head does not mean it
> > is not a good service.
> > BTW the Newton ftp archives there are great!
> > and the PDA folks are supportive of newton.
>
> Yea, I don't doubt that. I started with them almost
> from the beginning back in 1988 or so and used them
> for several years up until a few months ago. My
> sister
> had an account that we shared (I couldn't convince
> her
> to go with someone else.) My gripes aren't anything
> about how they aim their services, but just with the
> phone line problems, constant disconnects, constant
> crashing, etc, and I know these problems aren't
> localized in my city alone. The worst was with my
> grandfather's Dell pentium 2 machine. The system was
> practically virgin, all he had done was write a
> couple
> of MS Word files. We install AOL, and proceeded to
> spend the next five hours wrestling with it and with
> tech support. Either it kept crashing or
> disconnecting
> or whatever. The problems i've had on the mac side
> haven't been as severe, but it sounds like they
> exist
> just as much. On the other hand, when I got signed
> up
> with AT&T @home, the guy came out, installed the
> cable
> modem, we put the numbers in the TCP/IP panel, and I
> was up and running. Couldn't have been smoother.
> Tech
> support also seems to be far superior, although I
> haven't needed it yet. One of the most amusing
> problems I had with AOL was when I went to their
> help
> area after I couldn't find an 800 number, and it
> came
> up with a big dialog box saying that help was
> unavailable. That's service! :)
>
> Alex

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!