Re: NTLK Help: Cannot access Extras Folder

From: RobertRuff@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 19:55:13 EST

   Ray,

   I would try rebooting my newton without activating the packages (this is
kind of like restarting a Mac with extensions off or rebooting a PC in safe
mode) then removing Simple Mail packages unless you know which packages are
conflicting and prefer to keep Simple Mail.

  To do this hold the pen at the bottom left hand corner of the screen about
1 centimeter from each edge, that would be about1/2 inch for the metricly
challanged ;-) ,

  A dialogue box will come up asking if you would like to activate all
packages on the internal store, choose no.

  Immediately replace the pen in the same spot, if after a few seconds the
Newt seems stuck lift and replace the pen again. If your timing is correct a
second dialogue box should appear asking if you would like to activate all
packages on the external store, choose no again.

   This process results in only builtin software being activated and my guess
is you will now have control of your Extras drawer meanwhile all other
software will not be activated, will apear in italics when you open the
Extras Drawer and can be activated one at a time by taping on it.

  All packages act as if they are frozen so my guess is that they are.

  If you are having trouble with heap memory, I'm guessing you don't have a
2100 or equivalent, you might consider placing all essential packages on the
internal store and never actvating the external store as a group instead
activate each package individually or in small groups, as some software is
installed in multiple packages, either by:

using the freeware soultion

1 Storing each freeze/thaw group in the same folder
   and using SBM's freeware utility called Ed Select available
   @ http://www.sbm.nu/englisch/newton/edselect/index.htm

   While your there I highly recomend getting Options available
   @ http://www.sbm.nu/englisch/newton/optionen/index.htm
   as well.
   For the entire list on SBM's Newton software goto
   http://www.sbm.nu/englisch/newton/

or If $ is no object

2) Using a modified Dashboard or GestureLaunch
    Newton Script for this there are others on the list
    who can help with writing the script or may have
    one already written.
       I highly recomend Dashboard and consider it
     MUST HAVE software, I have no experiance
     Gesture Launch and cannot comment.

Good Luck

RobertRuff

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the