Re: NTLK NTLK: Time Reporter

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 23:12:29 EDT

On 4/22/2000 12:38 PM, Branagan [mailto:branagan@erols.com] wrote:

>I'm trying to connect a 2100 to a G4. I can do that because I have a PCI
>Serial card. So when I use Newton Connection Utilities ... no problem.
>
>I just got Time Reporter. Their utility only lets you connect via a
>serial or local talk. Their utility doesn't recognize my serial card.
>I'm reluctant to buy a USB-Serial or USB-Local talk device, as it may not
>work.
>
>Can anyone suggest something they KNOWS that works?
>
>Thanks in advance ... Mike
>branagan@erols.com

They don't support LOCALTALK, they support APPLETALK. LocalkTalk is a
cabling system. Since you have a 2100, you can use AppleTalk over
Ethernet too - so just get an Ethernet card for your 2100. There's one
that's been mentioned here that's about $30-40, cheaper than the $20 or
so that LocalTalk boxes go for these days.

Far better and FAR, FAR faster solution that Localtalk AppleTalk or
serial, too.

See the Newton FAQ for pointers to cards and drivers that'll work.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!