Re: NTLK screen dim & hum (switch out backlight?)

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 04:24:30 CDT

John Mark Davis wrote:
> An option, I guess, is that I could simply switch out my cases. (Although
> the screen on my main Newton is slightly better.) My main Newton is a 2100
> and the backup is a 2000u, but the cases should switch out fine, right?
Yes, with all the riscs involved to smash some part. And you will swap
the S/N too :-)

There's another possibility to get rid of the hum. In the past I worked
in a transformer company. We had some series of smaller transformers
which we dryed and sealed under vacuum. They were put into a vacuum
vessel, pumped out and heated-up to about 50 deg C to get rid of
humidity. After an hour or so they were submersed into a special
transformer coating laquer. If the tank is vented all the laquer will be
pressed into the last space of the windings of the transformer and thus
the 50Hz hum was reduced. I'm thinking all the time of trying this with
a Newton BL transformer, since I got not my home vacuum equipment nearly
complete (0.1mBar roughing pump and glass pot). However, this requires
unsoldering the surface mount transformer, which is absolutely not
trivial. :-/

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand