Re: newtontalk V1 #114 - NTLK NCU problem on PB160

From: Walter J. Ferstl (walter.j.ferstl@netway.at)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 06:08:50 CDT

>Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:10:07 EDT
>From: Tap2frog@aol.com
>To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com
>Subject: Re: Re: NTLK NCU problem on PB160.
>
>>I would suspect that if the machine won't start from AC mains then the PRAM
>>battery may be dead. User replaceable if you are daring. See an Apple
>>technician. Batteries are USD $25-30 here in the states.
>That if you're lucky otherwise it could be the power manager (it usually
>is) the first thing you should try is to zap the Pram and the Power
>manager I believe on the 160 all you do is plug in the PB and hold the
>reset button (in the back) for about 45sec to 1 min. than try and start
>it up,if that doesnt work have the internal (PRAM)battery replaced (or do
>it yourself).
> You can find new batteries on ebay for less than $30 but I'd make sure
>first that the power manager isn't fried since it will cost you more than
>buying a PB160 used
>
>LF

Well, Arild and LF,

let's see what Apple themselves have to say about this topic
(titled "PowerBook and iBook: Resetting Power Manager):

----
PowerBook 160, 165, or 180
       1. Remove the AC adapter and the battery.
       2. Let the unit sit without power connected for 3-5 minutes.
       3. Reinstall the battery and, if necessary, reconnect the AC adapter.

Note: Steps 1 and 2 will usually reset the Power Manager, however if the computer still exhibits the same issue, redo steps 1 and 2 and then follow the step listed below before reinstalling the battery. 1. Using two paper clips, simultaneously press and hold down the reset and interrupt buttons for 5-10 seconds. They are located next to the power button on the back panel of the PowerBook. ----

The web address of the whole article containing this information with Apple is:

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n14449

Hope this may be of some help,

Mac and Newt regards,

Walter.