Re: [NTLK] Off topic threads getting long in the tooth [Was: Message from  the Past]

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 18:14:59 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: "Andrew C. Rempt" <acrempt_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:39:52 -0700
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Off topic threads getting long in the tooth [Was:
Message from the Past]

> I would like to say one thing though. I think it's telling how many
> DW fans are on this list.

Nah. It's because most of us gadget-freaks who love the Newton also
tend to be science fiction fans...

> Isn't part of the attraction of the Newton
> the promise of performing Who-like miracles with it? We want it to be
> like the Doctor's sonic screwdriver, a do-everything ubber gadget
> that saves the day from evil.

I'd have said "Star Trek"-like miracles (I replaced numerous system
sounds on my "MessagePADD" 2100 with Star Trek computer sounds and
speech, and Macintalk impresses the heck out of people too.) The
Newton actually gets a mention in the Star Trek Encyclopedia
under "PADD" (The name for the Newton-like computer display pads the
actors on Star Trek carry around; "PADD" is an acronym.)

But I'd love a sonic screwdriver. Or better yet, Gary Seven's "servo"
from the potential Star Trek spinoff episode "Assignment:Earth".

But it'd have to fit in my Newton's stylus slot. ;-) Do you think a
sonic screwdriver or servo would also make a good Newton stylus
replacement?

Seriously, some of the replacement PDA styluses out there are getting
pretty complex (some contain pencils, pens, highlighers, laser
pointers, etc in addition PDA stylus, sometimes several of these at
once.)

 - Bill